Bach Cello Suite No.1

Saturday, December 11, 2010

About Lapis Lazuli

Ever since I started reading the Oxford Book I have been seeing a lot of famous art-works with the name "Lapis Lazuli" in it. I became curious about it so I did some research and figured I should write something about this incredibly beautiful gem.



Isn't that pretty?

According to my (really crappy) research. Lapis Lazuli are found in the northeastern Aghanistan and were popular because of it's intensity of blue. In latin "lapis" means stone and "lazuli" basically has an indication of the colour blue.

I think we call that royal blue in Canada, not so much lapis lazuli because it is difficult to pronounce.

I am reading the Renaissance part of the Oxford book right now and many of the paintings as well as mosaics of Madonna and Child has the Virgin's robe in lapis lazuli. It might be a symbol of royalty and innocence?

In Egypt lapis lazuli seemed to be a popular gem to make amulets for royalties as well as ornaments like pendants and other accessories. It seems to be used in the early east civilizations as well like Mesopotamia. Lapis Lazuli was used in the Assyrians and Babylonians for seals and it was also used as eyeshadow when it was powdered by Cleopatra.

It's amazing how the deep blue were used so frequently for royalty. I wonder if it was exclusively for royalty though, like in China only the emperor could wear the colour yellow and gold.

From the picture I can almost sense the holiness of this type of gem. It's like it has some luminosity within it, like a sort of spirit.

How can nature just make something like this? It's a wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment