Bach Cello Suite No.1

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Neoclassical Art

You know what I have realized in my taste of art?
I like a lot of art having simple designs and down-to-earth styles. Unlike the ostentatious jewels and frivolous mood in the Rococo art, it is very modest. It's very hard to imagine the style of Rococo and Neoclassical can be so close in time. It is an extremely big shift in such a short time...or maybe it is because there was already anti-Rococo style during the period but it just never made an impression on people back then...

Well anyways I really like some of it. Although I am not so fond of the frequency of Napoleon being portrayed as a invincible leader. Well..he is invincible..maybe just not simple and plain enough.

My favourite is the Cornelia, Mother of the Gracchi done by Angelica Kauffmann.




I like the beauty of modesty of Conelia. Her clothing are simple but has a graceful mother vibe to her. Especially when she gestures her "precious jewels" towards the woman that was showing off her jewelry. The distinct contrast reveals Cornelia's love as a mother very well.

But maybe I am a bit of hypocrite saying that I like Neoclassical art. Because I don't really enjoy the political drawings and sculptures of histoical figures. Like Houdon's George Washington and stuff like that.
I mean, they are okay but...historical figures are very cliche.

So maybe I am not a fan of Neoclassical painting.
Just genre paintings I guess then.
Okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment