Bach Cello Suite No.1

Sunday, October 17, 2010

About Minoan Crete

I was reading about the third millennium BC in the book I bought :D

So it is basically about the Egypitian art and the Mesopotamian art, which is completely normal since they were the two largest and earliest civilization in the world.

But then I came upon the Crete and their island culture. I have barely heard of this little culture and it somehow fascinated me thinking that there are milions of other little cultures in this world. I wish we can know more though. We know too little as humans.

Okay, back to topic.

I like how the the art in Minoan Crete emphasizes the simplicity as well as joy in their art, which is very rare, considering all the expressionless luxurious Egyptian paintings. I especially enjoy their appreciation towards nature around them, rather than worshipping the gods and finding their own identity.



My favourite is "The Springtime Fresco". The delicate outlines of the picture and the various colours explicitly expresses the worship the Minoan had towards nature. It is one of the earliest landscape drawings anywhere in the world. That just indicates how special the Minoan culture is.


This is my second favourite.

This vase has such a unique style that it amazes me. The people are not carved in profile, there are not any luxuries in the background, and it is not about anybody royal. My eyes were focused on their chanting and their laughter. I could almost hear their joy in harvesting. I could imagine their hyper and songs they sang as they got home carrying all their crops.

I am very surprised at this style, because most Egyptian doesn't have smiles on their faces and they focus on the afterlife and the activities. The Minoans definitely focus on their emotions more, which they should.

It's great.


No comments:

Post a Comment