Bach Cello Suite No.1

Sunday, October 10, 2010

About the Stonehenge in London

So I was reading this book my mom bought me about Art History.
It's called A World History of Art.(How very original..)Apparently it was recommended
It's very interesting, although deadly heavy.

I came upon the pages where it was talking about the Neolithic artifacts.
It was about the Stonehenge. I was fascinated by the magnificence of it. The atmosphere is so enigmatic, making you wonder over and over again what the purpose this is and how in the world did underdeveloped minds can possibily build something like that.




It is said in the book that it was aligned according on the locations of the horizons, and the movement of the sun and moon. Apparently the stones are placed on the exact spot of the sunrise and moonrise and where the sun and the moon are during a time interval. The intricate lining of the stones are amazing. The bluestones placed inside of the ring was definitely for a spiritual purpose but it is a wonder how the Neolithic people brought these stones between 6 and 8 feet to their exact planned location. I was also wondering how would they place such big stones vertically without any developed tool back then?





Personally, I just think this is an architecture that was built both intellectually and religiously. The authors of the book said that it was used to predict a 300-year cycled elipses. I think it would be very difficult because humans do not live for 300years to see a cycle. And the people back then would not know that there is an elipse every 300 years without proper way to transfer knowledge. I believe that there is a way of recording down the knowledge of the elipses somewhere within the artifacts. Maybe behind their aesthetic disguise, there is a sort of message about these things.
And second, about the purpose of creating this thing.
I believe that the older the people were from the times, the closer they are related to nature and the existence of gods. Although I am agnostic-meaning that I believe the existence of god is questionable-,I cannot help but to wonder about the origins of the "worshipping the gods" concept. Maybe somewhere during the evolution process of eventually becoming Homo Sapien Sapien, people are becoming closer to gods. Maybe the knowledge and the beginning of arts is a quality given by the gods, and that is where all this begun. But as times goes by , people are beginning to be distracted from the beauty that they forgot the true purpose.

But then again that is just my assumption. :)
Again just think about what they were thinking about when they were building this makes me feel so many things.

No comments:

Post a Comment